Poinciana House has aesthetic, historic, and social qualities valued by the community and has significant heritage value. The house is significant not just for its solid construction and gracious appearance.
The house was built for George James Gallop Warden Miles a Member of the Legislative Council representing the North Province and built for his wife. The summer that she arrived was the summer that made MB the hottest town, she stayed for 12 months then left. Poinciana House has been classified by the National Trust, and is on the Register of the National Estate.
The building was constructed in 1908. The walls are of local stone and the roof of corrugated galvanised iron held down with cyclone battens and the work was done by day labour and took six years to complete. The stonemason was brought in from England to build the house. He died in the last year of a heart attack.
The plan consists of a cruciform passage dividing the square central core into four rooms and opening out into a large lobby at the intersection of the cruciform the wide part of the cross was called the ballroom . Verandas on all sides of the central core are supported on steel columns and have concrete floors.
Poinciana house Poinciana House was named for the big poinciana tree in the front yard and held the first Race Ball. Owned by the active Country Women’s Association as second owners…they rented the place out to the School, for kindy, Hawk mining, and visitors…no longer able to afford the up keep of the house they sold it in the late 80’s